Item No: pdcl00086
Title: Market Street, west from 9th
Print and Picture Collection
"This photograph belongs to a group that formed a study of Philadelphia trolley cars. The detail in focus here is the side track at the United States Post Office, left, which provided for
loading and unloading the fleet of mail trolleys then in use. Mail trolleys were discontinued after 1915."--OPEP, p. 90.
The view down the street toward City Hall. Street cars and tracks on street. People walking on both sidewalks. Street is lined with commercial buildings, on the left the United States Post Office. Businesses and display advertisements include:
"Allison's Clothing" ; "Wm. Mulherin & Sons fine old whiskeys" ; "Dasch Cafe" ; "C.Schmidt & Sons Brewg. Co." ;
"Private Club Whiskey" ; "Puritan beer" , "Michell Seeds Bulbs" ;
"Heilbron's Building" ; "Blum Brothers" ; "Marks Bros Millinery" ;
"Dr. Hyman's Painless Dentistry" ;
"Automat Lunch Room." Also advertisement for: "Tom Waters, the Mayor of Laughland."
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Smith, John Gibb - Photographer