Item No: pdcl00092
Title: Market Street, east from City Hall
Additional Title: Market Street, east from City Hall, 1889
Print and Picture Collection
"This view to the east along Market Street shows the old Wanamaker emporium, or Grand Depot, as it was once called, on the right. The building with the clock tower also became part of the store before the present building was erected in 1905."--OPEP, p. 96.
The street, with trolleys, horse-drawn carriages and carts on street. People on street and sidewalks. John Wanamaker's Grand Depot at right, and signs for "Fernberger Wines & Liquor," farther back.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Smith, John Gibb - Photographer