Item No: pdcl00095
Title: Western Market, Market Street at 16th, northeast corner
Additional Title: Northeast corner of 16th and Market Streets
Historic Street Address:
Sixteenth and Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"This was the westernmost market house in Market Street, built to replace the market sheds which were removed by city ordinance after 1859. It received the fresh produce brought in by farmers from
areas to the north and west and beyond the Schuylkill River."--OPEP, p. 99.
The Market building. On either side are smaller commercial establishments, including "Frederick Jumelle Tobacco, Snuff & Segar Store" ; "Choice teas Walter Graham, grocer" ; "William W. Maull & Co. foreign & domestic Hardware...." In the street are horses,
wagons and streetcar tracks.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.