Item No: pdcl00100
Title: Zion Lutheran Church, 4th Street at Cherry
Additional Title: Zion Church, New Lutheran Church
Historic Street Address:
Fourth and Cherry Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"The first Zion Lutheran Church, built on this site in 1766, was used by the British as a hospital during the Revolution, and the Congress met there to give thanks for the surrender of Cornwallis. It was burned down in 1794. The second church, seen in the photo, was erected in 1796, and was considered the largest and finest church in America. The congress came there in 1799 to mourn the death of George Washington. The building was razed in 1869."--OPEP, p. 103.
The Church on corner with horse-drawn carriage parked on 4th; cart without horse on Cherry; streetcar tracks on 4th. Row houses on either side of church. Street lamps on corner and wooden utility pole in foreground on right.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.