Item No: pdcl00101
Title: German Lutheran School and parish house, Cherry Street at 4th
Additional Title: School building of Zion Lutheran Church
Historic Street Address:
Fourth and Cherry Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"Dating from before 1764, this school served the Zion Lutheran Church, which stood opposite across Cherry Street, in several capacities. It was used not only as an educational institution, but
also as a parish hall and an early meeting place for the German Society. In its belfry hung the bells originally intended for the church. In later years the building was appropriated for commercial uses, as business and industry expanded westward from the Delaware River front."--OPEP, p. 105.
The building on street, surrounded by other buildings. Two men standing in front, leaning against a signpost. Horse in lower right-hand corner. Signs: "G. Goebel's Hotel and Lager Beer Saloon" ; "Wrigley's Hotel."
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.