Item No: pdcl00126
Title: Chestnut Street, west from 6th
Additional Title: Public Ledger Building, southwest corner of 6th and Chestnut Streets
Historic Street Address:
Sixth and Chestnut Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"East Chestnut Street in the 1880s was the teeming center of Philadelphia's business district. This view is just west of Independence Hall. The Public Ledger Building is at the left."--OPEP, p. 131.
The Street with buildings on either side. People crowding sidewalks; horse and carriages on Chestnut; streetcar tracksrunning on Chestnut and on 6th; streetcar traveling down 6th. On north side of Chestnut are businesses: "[Ma]urice H. Power, printer", "609 Chas. Beck fancy paper and card boards", "Havana cigars", and an out-of-focus sign for real estate, notary public and insurance company. On the south side are street lamps and an electric sign on a post: "Public Ledger." On the corner of thePublic Ledger Building is a column, on its frieze is "Public Ledger," and on the column is a statue of Benjamin Franklin. Other businesses include: "[?]C. Yates & Co. Clothing;" "[?]C. Yates & Co. popular on price clothing..." and "608 The Land Title and Trust Co."
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.