Item No: pdcl00140
Title: John Krider's Shop, Walnut Street at 2nd
Additional Title: John Krider's Store, northeast corner of 2nd and Walnut Streets
Historic Street Address:
Second and Walnut Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"John Krider's well-known gun shop was built in 1751 on the site where the Drinker residence had stood since the days of William Penn. Legend has it that in 1680 Edward Drinker fathered the first child to be born at the site of Philadelphia, though in 1682 William Penn himself proclaimed John Key to be the first child born in the city. Krider's shop, however, was famous in its own right, for it was well remembered by sportsmen for many generations as the source of excellent firearms and fishing rods, all made by John Krider himself. Robert Fulton, miniature painter and builder of the steamboat Clermont, is believed to have lived at this address also. The building remained standing until 1955."--OPEP, p. 144.
The store, at intersection, with signs: "John Krider Gun Manufacturer" and "John Krider's Rifle, Shot Gun & Pistol Manufactory." Buildings next door also house numerous businesses: "Wm. Robertson Gun Maker" ; "A. Peterman Gun Maker" ; Geo. W. Fox Perfumer" ; "W.H. Flanagan" ; "Geo. M. Freeman Railway Supplies" ; "Franklin Telegraph Office". People walking and standing on streetand sidewalk. Trolley tracks and horse-drawn carriage on street. Utility poles and street lamp on sidewalk.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.