Item No: pdcl00151
Title: Central High School for Boys, Juniper Street at Center Square
Additional Title: Central High School for Boys, Juniper Street at Center Square, circa 1854
Print and Picture Collection
"This is the building whose rooftop appears in Joseph Saxton's daguerreotype of 1839 (No. 1). Opened in 1838, this school stood at the southeast corner of Center Square. On the left are warehouses, and on the right the Pennsylvania State Arsenal. In the rear are buildings belonging to the Pennsylvania Railroad. John Wanamaker's store now stands on this site. Center (now Penn) Square was still a green park when the photograph was made just before the school was taken down."--OPEP, p. 157.
The building surrounded by a wrought iron fence and a row of large bare trees with lawn. Buildings in the background on either side.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Edmunds, Franklin Davenport, 1874-1948 - Photographer