Item No: pdcl00157
Title: First Independent Presbyterian Church (Chambers' Church), Broad and Sansom Streets
Additional Title: Chamber's Church, Broad and Sansom Streets
Historic Street Address:
Broad & Sansom Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"Chambers' Church, as it was called, stood just south of Penn Square. It was built in 1830 as the result of dissension in the congregation of the Ninth Presbyterian Church growing out of the appointment of Rev. John Chambers of Baltimore to the ministry of that church. Chambers' supporters withdrew to establish an independent congregation under his guidance. The site is now occupied by the North American Building."--OPEP, p. 162.
Building on street with row houses to the left.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
McClees & Germon - Photographer