Item No: pdcl00179
Title: Court of Honor, Peace Jubilee
Additional Title: Court of Honor, Peace Jubilee, 1898
Print and Picture Collection
"The plans for an observance of the end of the war with Spain in 1898 had begun as a purely municipal project. However, having attracted nationwide attention, it grew to a celebration that lasted for three days in October 1898. It was attended by President McKinley, many military leaders and large contigents of the Army and Navy. The Court of Honor, seen here, was built on Broad Street south from City Hall to Walnut Street, the great archway standing at Sansom Street. Its purpose was to pay tribute to the armed services."--OPEP, p. 184.
The street, facing City Hall. On the left the Union League of Philadelphia. Great arch and columns decorate the street. Men and women on street, police officer in foreground. Men on bicycles, horse drawn carriages on street.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.