Item No: mca1090670
Additional Title: Book of Hours, use of Rome
Rare Book Department
Opening with the Crucifixion
This opening begins the Hours of the Cross. The miniature, however, is not part of the original manuscript but was added in the nineteenth century by the English miniaturist Caleb William Wing, who is known to have produced a number of facsimile illuminations that may or may not have been intentionally passed off as genuine medieval painting. The Gothic Revival of the nineteenth century brought about a renewed interest in the art of illumination, providing a profitable market for miniaturists such as Caleb Wing.
The original manuscript was made at the Abbey of St. Amand in 1537 for François Duquesne, a French nobleman. His coat of arms appears on the last folio of the manuscript. The acorns seen in the border decoration are the emblems of the Duquesne family.
Sirsi Catalog Key:
Creation Year (Single Year or Range Begin):
Image Dimensions Width:
Lewis E 109
Wing, Caleb William - Artist