Item No: pdcp00610
Title: Philadelphia Airport Contruction
Additional Title: July 6, 1936
Historic Street Address:
8000 Essington Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Aeronautics / African Americans, Folder: Aeronautics
Philadelphia airport formed in 1925 to train aviators of the Pennsylvania National Guard. In 1930 the city purchased adjoining land for Airport expansion. Expansion and the construction of the building and landing field began in 1937. Would eventually become known as the Philadelphia International Airport.
Photo taken July 6, 1936.