Item No: pdcp00613
Title: The Cannstatter Volksfest-Verein at Philadelphia International Airport
Historic Street Address:
8000 Essington Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Aeronautics / African Americans, Folder: Aeronautics
A German-American benevolent society, the Cannstatter Volksfest-Verein was founded in Philadelphia in 1873.
Philadelphia airport formed in 1925 to train aviators of the Pennsylvania National Guard. In 1930 the city purchased adjoining land for Airport expansion. Expansion and the construction of the building and landing field began in 1937. Construction began in 1950 on a new terminal building, which was completed December 15, 1953 and designed by architects Carroll, Grisdale & Van Alen (1946-73).
Gift of The Evening Bulletin. 10/16/1957.
McGonigal, Harry F. - Photographer