Item No: pdcp00625
Title: Open House at New Airport
Historic Street Address:
8000 Essington Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Aeronautics / African Americans, Folder: Aeronautics
Philadelphia airport formed in 1925 to train aviators of the Pennsylvania National Guard. In 1930 the city purchased adjoining land for Airport expansion. Expansion and the construction of the building and landing field began in 1937. Construction began in 1950 on a new terminal building, which was completed December 15, 1953 and designed by architects Carroll, Grisdale & Van Alen (1946-73).
[ON REVERSE] "Pic shows a view looking down at the second floor level, the main level from the third level. The entrance is down below the second level. The cars are on the Industrial Highway. Escalator is on left."
Gift of The Evening Bulletin. Sep. 28, 1965.
Wasko, Joseph - Photographer
Carroll, Grisdale & Van Alen - Architect