Philadelphia International Airport - ca. 1950

Historical Images of Philadelphia Philadelphiana
Advanced
Philadelphia International Airport - ca. 1950

Item Info

Item No: pdcp00628
Title: Philadelphia International Airport - ca. 1950
Historic Street Address: 8000 Essington Avenue
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Located in Box: Aeronautics / African Americans, Folder: Aeronautics

Philadelphia airport formed in 1925 to train aviators of the Pennsylvania National Guard. In 1930 the city purchased adjoining land for Airport expansion. Expansion and the construction of the building and landing field began in 1937. Construction began in 1950 on a new terminal building, which was completed December 15, 1953 and designed by architects Carroll, Grisdale & Van Alen (1946-73).

G3-74 Mrs. Rudolph Pott


Creation Year: ca. 1950
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.874669
Geocode Longitude:-75.248880