Item No: pdcp00630
Title: S. Davis Wilson Airport
Historic Street Address:
8000 Essington Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Aeronautics / African Americans, Folder: Aeronautics
Philadelphia airport formed in 1925 to train aviators of the Pennsylvania National Guard. In 1930 the city purchased adjoining land for Airport expansion. Expansion and the construction of the building and landing field began in 1937. Known as Municipal Airport, then as S. Davis Wilson Airport before reverting back to Municipal Airport. Eventually became Philadelphia International Airport. Building demolished to start construction on a new terminal building in 1950.
[ON REVERSE] "Architects drawing of the Administration Building which will soon be built at the S. Davis Wilson Airport. On the first floor of this building will be the waiting room, ticket office, baggage and express rooms, a Post-Office station and a restaurant and cafeteria. The second floor will include sun decks, four soundproof rooms for communication facilities of the transportation companies and observation roof and an aeronautical chart room. From the tower, the control operator can see all seven runways and the entire field. From this tower, incoming ships can be directed to proper landings."