Item No: pdcp00632
Title: Aerial Photograph of S. Davis Wilson Airport (b)
Additional Title: "AIR VIEW of the new S. Davis Airport, being built with WPA funds at Island Road and Tinicum Avenue, made from a Boulevard Airport plane by Gus Pasquarella, Evening Ledger flying photographer"
Historic Street Address:
8000 Essington Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Aeronautics / African Americans, Folder: Aeronautics
Philadelphia airport formed in 1925 to train aviators of the Pennsylvania National Guard. In 1930 the city purchased adjoining land for Airport expansion. Expansion and the construction of the building and landing field began in 1937. Known as Municipal Airport, then as S. Davis Wilson Airport before reverting back to Municipal Airport. Eventually became Philadelphia International Airport. Building demolished to start construction on a new terminal building in 1950.
Pasquarella, Gus - Photographer