Advanced
1741-1749 North 4th Street

Item Info

Item No: pdcm00277
Title: 1741-1749 North 4th Street
Additional Title: Stetson Hospital
Creation Date: 10/19/1948
Historic Street Address: 1741-1749 North 4th Street
Media Type: Photographic Negatives
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Image created for C. H. Johnson

The Stetson Hospital was built (ca. 1900), for use by the workers of the the John B. Stetson Company (founded in Philadelphia in 1865, the original maker of Stetson cowboy hats). The Stetson plant in Kensignton occupied 25 buildings and covered nine acres. At one point over 5000 people were employed there. Aside from the hospital, the Stetson plant included a building-and-loan society and a school. The plant closed in 1971.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.977678
Geocode Longitude:-75.141432

Creator Name: Parker & Mullikin - Photographer