Item No: pdcm00394a
Title: 76 West Chelten Avenue
Additional Title: POS Bar & Restaurant
Historic Street Address:
76 West Chelten Avenue, southeast corner
Print and Picture Collection
Image created for John J. McEmery
This late Victorian-era building was once the home of the Germantown Independent Gazette, a local weekly newspaper, published from approximately 1896-1926 (research yielded varying dates). The building is also referred to as the McCann Building, after the Gazette's founding editor/owner, Horace McCann.
By 1949, when this image was taken, the building had multiple commercial uses: POS (Philadelphia Old Stock) Bar & Restaurant--on the corner, and continuing along Greene Street; and to the left, down Chelten Avenue, are Germantown Travel Bureau and Kay-dee Ladies Apparel. For interior images of the POS Bar & Restaurant, see #pdcm00394 b and c, and #pdcm00566 a and b.
The building's demolish date is unknown, but in the mid-1970s, the site was chosen for the construction of the Northwest Regional Library, which opened in 1978.
Parker & Mullikin - Photographer