Item No: pdct00086
Title: Aldine Hotel
Historic Street Address:
1910-1922 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
This ca. 1920 photograph shows the Aldine Hotel, on Chestnut Street. The original section of the hotel (in the image’s center) was the renovated mansion of Phoebe and Dr. James Rush--built in 1851, then purchased and converted into the Aldine Hotel by J. B. Lippincott, in 1877. By 1895, the hotel was expanded with the larger, adjacent building (seen to the right); the latter building still remains, but the part of the hotel that was originally the mansion was torn down ca. 1925, in order to build the Boyd Theatre.
Scharf & Westcott, vol. II, p. 994.
Gift of Frank H. Taylor, April 1922
Taylor, Frank H. (Frank Hamilton), 1846-1927 - Photographer