Item No: pdcm00505
Title: 500-502 Market Street, Southwest Corner of 5th & Market Streets
Additional Title: Hamilton's - Mall Project A
Historic Street Address:
5th & Market Streets, Southwest corner
Print and Picture Collection
This July 1949 image was taken as part of the preparation for beginning "Mall Project A,” for creating what became Independence Mall—the three blocks north of Independence Hall, bounded by Chestnut, Race, 5th and 6th Streets.
Hamilton's was one of the many buildings purchased and demolished to create the First Block, the block immediately north of Independence Hall; the block was completed in 1954.
Businesses shown in photo: D'attilo Shoe Service, Hamilton's, Lonker & Lonker Clothing, Jack's Bar.
Parker & Mullikin - Photographer