Item No: pdcp00650
Title: American Philosophical Society - Philosophical Hall
Additional Title: From Department of Public Works
Historic Street Address:
104 South Fifth Street
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Allens Lane Art Center - Arcade Folder: American Philosophical Society
Oblique view of the American Philosophical Society's Philosophical Hall in 1930. Old City Hall can be seen in background-right.
Contruction on building began in 1785. In 1890, an additional third floor (shown in photo) was added to the originally two story building. In need of more space, the Society moved to a new location in 1932. Third floor addition removed in 1949. Philosophical Hall currently serves as the administrative headquarters of the American Philosophical Society.
For more information see: Philosophical Hall - American Philisophical Society. Retrieved from: http://www.amphilsoc.org/about/campus/philosophicalhall
[On verso of photograph]: TAKEN IN 1930 BY | OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER | DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS | GIFT OF JOHN J. L. HOUST???, ESQ. | MAY 1932.
Philadelphia (Pa.). Department of Public Works - Photographer