Item No: pdcp00651
Title: American Philosophical Society - Philosophical Hall
Historic Street Address:
104 South Fifth Street
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Allens Lane Art Center - Arcade Folder: American Philosophical Society
1902 photographic reproduction of a pre-1887 photograph.
Oblique view of the American Philosophical Society's Philosophical Hall pre-1887. Old City Hall can be seen in background-right and Independance Hall in background-left.
Contruction began on building in 1785. In 1890, an additional third floor was added to the originally two story building. In need of more space, the Society moved to a new location in 1932. Third floor addition removed in 1949. Philosophical Hall currently serves as the administrative headquarters of the American Philosophical Society.
For more information see: Philosophical Hall - American Philisophical Society. Retrieved from: http://www.amphilsoc.org/about/campus/philosophicalhall