Item No: pdcp00652
Title: American Philosophical Society - Philosophical Hall
Additional Title: Pictures of Old Philadelphia - collected and reproduced by Julius F. Sachse
Historic Street Address:
104 South Fifth Street
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Allens Lane Art Center - Arcade Folder: American Philosophical Society
Photogravure produced by Julius F. Sachse for his self published Pictures of Philadelphia (1901). Reproduction made from original photograph held at the Library Company of Philadelphia.
Oblique view of the American Philosophical Society's Philosophical Hall pre-1887. Old City Hall can be seen in background-right and Independance Hall in background-left.
Contruction began on building in 1785. In 1890, an additional third floor was added to the originally two story building. In need of more space, the Society moved to a new location in 1932. Third floor addition removed in 1949. Philosophical Hall currently serves as the administrative headquarters of the American Philosophical Society.
For more information see: Philosophical Hall - American Philisophical Society. Retrieved from: http://www.amphilsoc.org/about/campus/philosophicalhall
Sachse, Julius F., 1842-1919 - Photographer