Item No: pdcp00675
Title: Tivoli Gardens
Historic Street Address:
13th & Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Allens Lane Art Center - Arcade Folder: Amusement Parks
The Columbian Garden (later Tivoli Garden) was opened in 1813 by Lawrence Astolfi, a confectioner and distiller. Philadelphia's first public garden for theatrical exhibitions and concerts. In 1820, Stanislaus Surin took over management of the Columbian Garden and changed the name to Tivoli Garden. In April 1825, a Mr. Johns became the manager and opened the establishment under the name of the Tivoli Garden Theater. Also known around this time as Pavilion Circus. Demolish date unknown.
Geocode location is approximate.
Jackson, J. (1915). Market Street, Philadelphia; The Most Historic Highway in America, its Merchants and its Story. Philadelphia: Public Ledger Company. (p. 165-6).
Scarf, J. T. & Westcotte, T. (1884). History of Philadelphia, 1609-1884, Vol. 2. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts & Co. (p. 957-8).