Item No: pdcp00681
Title: Philadelphia Aquarium
Additional Title: "The old Fairmount Water Works, now the Aquarium. A better water-front was never created. Why not do as well along the river southward?""
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Allens Lane Art Center - Arcade Folder: Aquariums
Photomechanical print of a riverside view of the Philadelphia Aquarium. Print from a souvenir of the Fairmount Park- Park Guard Pension Fund Association (1914).
Buildings originally served as the Fairmount Water Works until 1909. Operated as the Philadelphia Aquarium from 1911-1962. Within the first year of its existence the Aquarium was visited by over 260,000 people and by 1929 was one of the four largest aquariums in the world. Closed in 1962 due to funding issues and in 1977 was designated an ASME Historical Mechanical Engineering Landmark.
For more information visit: http://www.phillyhistory.org/blog/index.php/2010/06/the-philadelphia-aquarium-at-the-fairmount-water-works/
SEE ALSO: Fairmount Water Works
Fairmount Park Guard Pension Fund Association - Author