Advanced
Philadelphia Aquarium

Item Info

Item No: pdcp00682
Title: Philadelphia Aquarium
Additional Title: "River view of Fairmount Park Aquarium Building."
Media Type: Photolithography
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Located in Box: Allens Lane Art Center - Arcade Folder: Aquariums

Photomechanical print of a riverside view of the Philadelphia Aquarium. Print from a souvenir of the Fairmount Park- Park Guard Pension Fund Association (1914).

Buildings originally served as the Fairmount Water Works until 1909. Operated as the Philadelphia Aquarium from 1911-1962. Within the first year of its existence the Aquarium was visited by over 260,000 people and by 1929 was one of the four largest aquariums in the world. Closed in 1962 due to funding issues and in 1977 was designated an ASME Historical Mechanical Engineering Landmark.

For more information visit: http://www.phillyhistory.org/blog/index.php/2010/06/the-philadelphia-aquarium-at-the-fairmount-water-works/

SEE ALSO: Fairmount Water Works


Creation Year: 1914
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.966102
Geocode Longitude:-75.183542

Creator Name: Fairmount Park Guard Pension Fund Association - Author