Item No: pdcf00047
Title: Chestnut Hill Branch
Additional Title: Exterior of rebuilt Chestnut Hill Branch, ca. 1909
Historic Street Address:
8711 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
This is a ca. 1909 exterior view of the rebuilt Chestnut Hill Branch. The original building was demolished in 1907, and the new library was rebuilt on the same site, with funding from an Andrew Carnegie grant. Designed by architects Cope and Stewardson, it is the eighth of the Carnegie-funded libraries in Philadelphia.
The building is an early-20th-century Georgian Revival structure, built of gray local fieldstone. The entry pavilion features limestone motifs (columns entablature, and a balustrade). It is one story high, with a basement.
The Chestnut Hill Branch serves the Chestnut Hill community.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer