Item No: pdcf00084
Title: Falls of Schuylkill Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Falls of Schuylkill Branch, ca. 1913
Historic Street Address:
3501 Midvale Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
This is a ca. 1913 exterior view of the Falls of Schuylkill Branch, opened at its present location, 3501 Midvale Avenue, on November 18, 1913. (The original branch was opened in 1901 as a Deposit Station, and was located in the Old Academy building at 3544 Indian Queen Lane.) The land for this branch was a gift from the Warden Estate and William H. Merrick. The building is the 14th branch funded by a grant from Andrew Carnegie.
This ca. 1913 interior view shows the main room, occupying a single story. A lecture room, dining room, storeroom, kitchen, bathroom, boiler room, coal bin and locker space were in the basement.
This branch serves the East Falls community. It is located at the intersection of Midvale Avenue, Warden Drive, and Conrad Street.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer