Item No: pdcp00705
Title: Armory of the First City Troop Philadelphia Cavalry
Historic Street Address:
22-42 South 23rd Street
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Architects - Bands Folder: Armories
Oblique view of the Armory of First City Troops - Philadelphia Cavalry. Built circa 1900 and located just north of Chestnut Street on 23rd Street. Architects: Newman, Woodman & Harris (fl. 1900-1902); Baily & Truscott (fl. 1890-1904).
Placed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places - 1/3/1985.
The First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry was formed in 1774. Currently a unit of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard and the oldest continually serving unit in the U.S. military.
Newman, Woodman & Harris, active 1900-1902 - Architect
Baily & Truscott (fl. 1890-1904) - Architect
Stewardson & Page, active 1912-1936 - Architect