Item No: pdcp00708
Title: Armory of the First City Troop Philadelphia Cavalry
Additional Title: Original location at 21st and Barker [Ludlow] Streets
Historic Street Address:
21st and Ludlow Streets, Southwest corner
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Architects - Bands Folder: Armories
View of the original Armory of the First City Troop Philadelphia Cavalry. Located at the Southwest corner of 21st and Barker (now Ludlow) Streets. Earliest documented date 1870. In 1874 an addition, designed by Furness & Hewitt (fl. 1871-1875), was made to the front of the armory. Image shows armory pre-addition. Demlished circa 1889. First Troop City Cavalry relocated to new Armory built circa 1900 at 22-42 South 23rd Street.
The First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry was formed in 1774. Currently a unit of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard and the oldest continually serving unit in the U.S. military.
Gifted to the Free Library May 1970.