Item No: pdcp00709
Title: Armory of the First City Troop Philadelphia Cavalry
Additional Title: Original location at 21st and Barker [Ludlow] Streets - With 1874 Addition
Historic Street Address:
21st & Ludlow Streets, Southwest corner
Print and Picture Collection
Located in Box: Architects - Bands Folder: Armories
Lithograph shows of the original Armory of the First City Troop Philadelphia Cavalry. Lithograph published in History of the First Troop, Philadelphia City Cavalry, 1774. Philadelphia: 1875.
Armory located at the Southwest corner of 21st and Barker (now Ludlow) Streets. Earliest documented date 1870. In 1874 an addition, designed by Furness & Hewitt (fl. 1871-1875), was made to the front of the armory. Image shows armory with 1874 addition. Demlished circa 1889. First Troop City Cavalry relocated to new Armory built circa 1900 at 22-42 South 23rd Street.
The First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry was formed in 1774. Currently a unit of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard and the oldest continually serving unit in the U.S. military.
Furness & Hewitt (Firm) - Architect
First Troop, Philadelphia City Cavalry - Lithographer