Item No: pdcf00107
Title: Fox Chase Branch
Additional Title: "The Three Bears" sculpture, created for the new Fox Chase Branch, 1967
Historic Street Address:
501 Rhawn Street
Print and Picture Collection
In October 1951, volunteers and members of the Fox Chase Civic League renovated the first floor of an old school building, to become the Fox Chase Branch. By the mid-1960s, the library had outgrown the old building.
In 1967, the old school was torn down and a trailer provided temporary library service. In this 1967 photograph, the sculpture titled “The Three Bears” is seen in a temporary location at the Parkway Central Library, during construction of the new Fox Chase Branch building. The sculpture, commissioned as part of the 1% For Art program, is made of black granite, and was created by sculptor George Papashvily. On August 26, 1968, the new library opened at the same location.
The Fox Chase Branch serves the Fox Chase community of Northeast Philadelphia.
Fredericks, William J. - Photographer