Item No: pdcf00108
Title: Fox Chase Branch
Additional Title: Temporary trailer library, in use during new Fox Chase Branch construction, 1967
Historic Street Address:
501 Rhawn Street
Print and Picture Collection
In October 1951, volunteers and members of the Fox Chase Civic League renovated the first floor of an old school building, to become the Fox Chase Branch. By the mid-1960s, the library had outgrown the old building.
In 1967, the old school was torn down and a trailer provided temporary library service. In this October 1967 photograph, City Council President Paul D’Ortona, former City Council member Virginia Knauer, and Free Library of Philadelphia Director Emerson Greenaway (standing) assist young library patrons in the trailer library, during the new building’s contruction. On August 26, 1968, the new branch building opened at the same location.
The Fox Chase Branch serves the Fox Chase community of Northeast Philadelphia.
Schick, Jules - Photographer