Item No: pdcf00115
Title: Frankford Branch
Additional Title: Exterior corner view of the Frankford Branch, ca. 1906
Historic Street Address:
4634 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. It was located in the Wright's Industrial and Beneficial Institute Building, at 1858 Frankford Avenue.
In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new building at the corner of Frankford Avenue and Overington Street, becoming the second Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. The land for this building was donated by T. Comly Hunter; the architecture firm was Watson & Huckel. The building cost $60,900 in 1906. It was constructed of brick and terra cotta, having one story and a basement. This is a ca. 1906 exterior corner view of that building.
In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location.
Located near the Margaret-Orthodox Station of the Frankford EL, the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer