Item No: pdcf00116
Title: Frankford Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Frankford Branch, ca. 1906
Historic Street Address:
4634 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. It was located in the Wright's Industrial and Beneficial Institute Building, at 1858 Frankford Avenue.
In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new building at the corner of Frankford Avenue and Overington Street, becoming the second Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. This is a ca. 1906 interior view of the main reading room of that branch. The lecture hall was at the back of the first floor reading room; and two toilets, staff room, kitchen, boiler room and coal room were in the basement.
In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location. Located near the Margaret-Orthodox Station of the Frankford EL, the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer