Item No: pdcf00120
Title: Frankford Branch
Additional Title: Architect's drawing of proposed remodeling of the Frankford Branch, 1957
Historic Street Address:
4634 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new building at the corner of Frankford Avenue and Overington Street, becoming the second Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location. This is a 1957 preliminary drawing of the proposed remodeling, superimposed on the existing building, in situ, including the Frankford EL overhead.
Located near the Margaret-Orthodox Station of the Frankford EL, the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.