Item No: pdcf00173
Title: Greater Olney Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the remodeled Greater Olney Branch, ca. 1964
Historic Street Address:
5501 North 5th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Kiwanis Club and the Olney Community Council began working together in 1945, to create a Free Library in their neighborhood. The Greater Olney Branch opened in the former Olney Bank and Trust Company building on October 20, 1949.
In the mid-1960s, a major remodeling/modernization for the branch was undertaken. This ca. 1964 interior view shows the meeting room on the mezzanine level. Visible through the glass, is the mural overlooking the main floor.
Located at 5th Street and Tabor Road, the branch serves the Olney community.