Item No: pdcf00175
Title: Greater Olney Branch
Additional Title: View of sculpture in the children's reading room in the Greater Olney Branch, 1966
Historic Street Address:
5501 North 5th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Kiwanis Club and the Olney Community Council began working together in 1945, to create a Free Library in their neighborhood. The Greater Olney Branch opened in the former Olney Bank and Trust Company building on October 20, 1949.
In the mid-1960s, a major remodeling/modernization for the branch was undertaken. This is a 1966 photograph of the bronze sculpture "Tiger Chased By Chipmunk," by sculptor Henry Mitchell, installed at the top of the stairs in the children's reading room.
Located at 5th Street and Tabor Road, the branch serves the Olney community.
Dufor Studios - Photographer