Item No: pdcf00176
Title: Greenwich Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Greenwich Branch, ca. 1929
Historic Street Address:
4th & Schunk Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The Greenwich Branch opened in 1929, and was built using money from the $1.5 million Andrew Carnegie grant. Located at 4th & Shunk Streets, it was the 24th Free Library branch built with Carnegie funds. The building was ultimately razed (date unknown). This is an exterior view of the front facade.
The Greenwich Branch moved in 1962 to a rented location at 711-713 Snyder Avenue, and it closed altogether in 1992. It served the Whitman neighborhood of South Philadelphia.