Item No: pdcf00177
Title: Greenwich Branch
Additional Title: Three-quarter exterior view of the Greenwich Branch, ca. 1929
Historic Street Address:
4th & Shunk Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The Greenwich Branch opened in 1929, and was built using money from the $1.5 million Andrew Carnegie grant. Located at 4th & Shunk Streets, it was the 24th Free Library branch built with Carnegie funds. The building was ultimately razed (date unknown). This is a ca. 1929 three-quarter exterior view of the building.
The Greenwich Branch moved in 1962 to a rented location at 711-713 Snyder Avenue, and it closed altogether in 1992. It served the Whitman neighborhood of South Philadelphia.