Item No: pdcf00180
Title: Greenwich Branch
Additional Title: Interior veiw of children's area of the Greenwich Branch, 1943
Historic Street Address:
4th & Shunk Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The Greenwich Branch opened in 1929, and was built using money from the $1.5 million Andrew Carnegie grant. Located at 4th & Shunk Streets, it was the 24th Free Library branch built with Carnegie funds. The building was ultimately razed (date unknown). This is an interior view of the children's room, taken in 1943.
The Greenwich Branch moved in 1962 to a rented location at 711-713 Snyder Avenue, and it closed altogether in 1992. It served the Whitman neighborhood of South Philadelphia.
Swallow's Studio - Photographer