Item No: pdcf00181
Title: Greenwich Branch
Additional Title: Deterioration of Greenwich Branch lecture hall, ca. 1950s
Historic Street Address:
4th & Shunk Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The Greenwich Branch opened in 1929, and was built using money from the $1.5 million Andrew Carnegie grant. Located at 4th & Shunk Streets, it was the 24th Free Library branch built with Carnegie funds. This view shows deterioration in the basement lecture hall in the 1950s. The building was ultimately razed (date unknown).
The Greenwich Branch moved in 1962 to a rented location at 711-713 Snyder Avenue, and it closed altogether in 1992. It served the Whitman neighborhood of South Philadelphia.