Item No: pdcf00183
Title: Greenwich Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Greenwich Branch, ca. 1963
Historic Street Address:
711-713 Snyder Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Greenwich Branch opened in 1929, and was built using money from the $1.5 million Andrew Carnegie grant. Located at 4th & Shunk Streets, it was the 24th Free Library branch built with Carnegie funds. The building was ultimately razed (date unknown).
The Greenwich Branch moved in 1962 to a rented location at 711-713 Snyder Avenue. The interior is shown in this ca. 1963 photograph, highlighting the circulation desk area. The branch closed altogether in 1992. It served the eastern neighborhoods of South Philadelphia.