Item No: pdcf00188
Title: Haddington Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Haddington Branch, 1915
Historic Street Address:
446 North 65th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Haddington Branch of the Free Library opened on December 3, 1915. Albert Kelsey, an architect who chaired the committee to develop the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, designed the building. The Haddington Branch was the 18th library building erected using funds from Andrew Carnegie. The land for the library was donated by Alex Simpson, Jr.
This 1915 exterior view shows a building constructed of brick and limestone, combining Beaux-Arts formality with Renaissance Revival and other symbolic motifs, modified to incorporate the characteristic local Philadelphia architecture of red brick and white terra cotta trim.
Located at the top of a hill, at 65th Street & Girard Avenue, the library serves the communities of Haddington-Carroll Park and Overbrook-Morris Park.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer