Item No: pdcf00197
Title: Holmesburg/Thomas Holme Branch
Additional Title: Exterior of the Thomas Holme Branch, in the Frankford Athenaeum, ca. 1900
Historic Street Address:
8000 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Originally a subscription library founded in 1867, the Holmesburg Reading Room and Library Association transferred to the trustees of the Lower Dublin Academy in 1880 and was renamed the Thomas Holme Free Library. In an agreement between the academy trustees and the Free Library of Philadelphia, the Thomas Holme Branch was established in 1900. It was housed in the Frankford Athenaeum, pictured here, at 8000 Frankford Avenue.
In 1906, the academy trustees donated land and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated funds for a new building for the branch, to be located at Frankford & Hartel Avenues (making it the sixth Carnegie-funded branch).
Eventually, the name reverted to the original, and is once again the Holmesburg Branch. It serves the Holmesburg and Mayfair communities.