Item No: pdcf00200
Title: Holmesburg/Thomas Holme Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Thomas Holme Branch, ca. 1907
Historic Street Address:
7810 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Holmesburg Reading Room and Library Association was a subscription library founded in 1867. An agreement between the Lower Dublin Academy trustees and the Free Library of Philadelphia established the Thomas Holme Branch in 1900, housed in the Frankford Athenaeum for the next seven years. In 1906, the academy trustees donated land, and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated funds for a new building, making it the sixth Carnegie-funded branch.
This is a ca. 1907 exterior view of the new branch, designed by architects Sterns & Castor, and constructed of brick and terra cotta in the Beaux Arts style, at a cost of $36,858. Located at Frankford & Hartel Avenues, the building has one story and a basement.
Eventually, the name reverted to the original, and is once again the Holmesburg Branch. It serves the Holmesburg and Mayfair communities.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer