Item No: pdcf00201
Title: Holmesburg/Thomas Holme Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Thomas Holme Branch, ca. 1907
Historic Street Address:
7810 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Holmesburg Reading Room and Library Association was a subscription library founded in 1867. An agreement between the Lower Dublin Academy trustees and the Free Library of Philadelphia established the Thomas Holme Branch in 1900, housed in the Frankford Athenaeum for the next seven years. In 1906, the academy trustees donated land, and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated funds for a new building, making it the sixth Carnegie-funded branch. Located at Frankford & Hartel Avenues, it opened June 26, 1907.
The one story was comprised of the main room, lecture room, and children's room; the basement contained a kitchen, staff room, two toilets, a supply room, boiler room, and coeal bin. This ca. 1907 interior view is of the main reading room and circulation desk, with a small stage visible through the cased opening.
Eventually, the name reverted to the original, and is once again the Holmesburg Branch. It serves the Holmesburg and Mayfair communities.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer