Item No: pdcf00203
Title: Holmesburg/Thomas Holme Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Thomas Holme Branch, December 1940
Historic Street Address:
7810 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Holmesburg Reading Room and Library Association was a subscription library founded in 1867. An agreement between the Lower Dublin Academy trustees and the Free Library of Philadelphia established the Thomas Holme Branch in 1900, housed in the Frankford Athenaeum for the next seven years. In 1906, the academy trustees donated land, and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated funds for a new building.
Located at Frankford & Hartel Avenues, it opened June 26, 1907, making it the sixth Carnegie-funded branch. This interior view of the Children's Room was taken in 1940. In this photograph, what was once a small stage at the far end of the room has been converted into additional shelving and reading space.
Eventually, the name reverted to the original, and is once again the Holmesburg Branch. It serves the Holmesburg and Mayfair communities.