Item No: pdcf00204
Title: Holmesburg/Thomas Holme Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Thomas Holme Branch, ca. 1950s or 1960s
Historic Street Address:
7810 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Holmesburg Reading Room and Library Association was a subscription library founded in 1867. An agreement between the Lower Dublin Academy trustees and the Free Library of Philadelphia established the Thomas Holme Branch in 1900, housed in the Frankford Athenaeum for the next seven years. In 1906, the academy trustees donated land, and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated funds for a new building.
Located at Frankford & Hartel Avenues, it opened June 26, 1907, making it the sixth Carnegie-funded branch. This exterior view from the 1950s or 1960s, shows little change to the building itself, but changes surrounding the library are evident (e.g., streets, landscaping, and buildings).
Eventually, the name reverted to the original, and is once again the Holmesburg Branch. It serves the Holmesburg and Mayfair communities.